Header

Mrs. King at Home About Mrs. King Contact Mrs. King Mrs. King's Music Class HOME Image Map

5 Great Apps for Music Workstations


5 Great Apps for Music Workstations- My students love these apps for composing, arranging and practicing rhythms and pitch names.  Try them in your music classroom!

I love including technology as one of the centers in my music workstation rotations.  Here are a few of my favorite apps for 3rd through 6th grades.


Flashnote Derby
This app provides a fun way to practice naming the pitches of notes.  It lets you select the notes you practice too.  When I use this at a workstation, I leave instructions about which notes to select.  This is fun and students will play it over and over again.

Treble Cat
Another fun way to practice the names of treble clef staff, this app is great for 3rd through 6th grades.  The game starts as notes slide across the screen.  The goal during each round is to "collect" notes of a certain pitch.  Engaging and simple, this is definitely a winner for centers!

Rhythm Cat
My students love this app!  I demonstrated it to the class before using it in a workstation, but it is perfect for iPads!  Students see several measures worth of rhythm patterns.  A tune starts and counts down to when students play along.  Students play the patterns by tapping on the screen.  They score points for accuracy.  I love that the app uses varying tempos and genres in the background music.  The rhythm patterns get more difficult as students progress through them.

When using it in a workstation, I have students start from the easiest level.  This prevents students from sitting down and starting on a difficult level and getting frustrated.


Incredibox
This is my students' favorite app.  They could create with it for our entire class period.  This app lets you create music by "arranging" a cool and funky group of beatboxers.  Creating loops, making musical decisions and sharing these with friends is only part of the fun.  I love the musical conversations that happen around this app.  You can use the web version, but I prefer the app because there are more options.


Staff Wars
I know.  I know.  You've already heard of this one.  It is so easy to use and students are extremely engaged when they are playing this game.  Many of my students download this app to their own devices at home so that they can practice.  Teacher win!!!  In this Star Wars themed game, notes fly across the staff and you shoot them down with your space ship.


If you like these ideas, PIN this for later!


5 Great Apps for Music Workstations- My students love these apps for composing, arranging and practicing rhythms and pitch names.  Try them in your music classroom!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment