Header

Mrs. King at Home About Mrs. King Contact Mrs. King Mrs. King's Music Class HOME Image Map

Bottle Cap Staff: Practicing the Treble Clef Pitches

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Bottle-Cap-Staff-Activity-Learn-the-Treble-Clef-Staff-1291648


Shhh!  Don't tell.  I might be a hoarder.  A crazy, crafty, fun-loving, what-the-heck-is-she-gonna-do-with-that hoarder.  Really, it is something I inherited from my mom.  She saved all sorts of things and sometimes even used them.  She must have got it from her mom too.  One time I needed some empty milk jugs for a VBS project.  I went to my Aunt Marsha.  She had almost FIFTY.  LOL.  Handy!

For a while I collected bottle caps.  Bottle caps from 2 liter bottles, water bottles and 20 ounce soda bottles work best.  I was amazed at how many I had saved on my own and was overwhelmed when I put out a request to parents and the bottle caps started rolling in.

I tossed them in some soapy, hot water and let them dry on a towel.  I knew that if I was interested in playing with the bottle caps (stacking them, sliding them, making patterns) that my students would be too.


Mrs. King's Music Class Bottle Cap Staff


Here's what I do with them:

Kindergarten:  Distinguish between line notes and space notes.  Notes that move up, down and stay the same.

1st Grade:  Review what we've done in Kindergarten and experiment with step, skip and same.  Towards the end of the year we learn C, D, E with Mr. Everybody and I hope to use the bottle cap staves to "compose" with those notes this year.

2nd Grade:  Melodic dictation.  Easy melodic dictation that moves by steps and repeats.  We also use it as we learn CDEFG with Mr. Everybody.

3rd-4th Grades:  During the end of 3rd grade and most all of 4th grade we learn the names of all the treble clef staff pitches including a few notes above and below the staff.  We use them to review the names.  I'll say "Everyone put a bottle cap on C."  Walking through the room, I am able to see who knows it and who doesn't.  In 4th grade we spell words with the pitches of the treble clef.

5th-6th Grades :  Usually we just use this activity for review, but with some groups it FEELS  a lot like starting over.  We will play games that help students find pitch names, spell words, notate ostinatos for Orff instruments and more.

I would really like to do more with melodic dictation and hope to use the bottle cap staves when I introduce new solfege.  Please share your ideas for bottle cap notation in the comments.

You can get the bottle cap staff set here.

Mrs. King's Music Class Bottle Cap Staff


post signature

6 comments:

  1. That's amazing! And soooo useful! Thanks for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas and pictures!!
    I just nominated you for the Liebster award: http://www.mrsmiraclesmusicroom.com/2014/11/the-liebster-award.html. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great ideas all the time. I nominated you for the Liebster Award. http://musicelementary.blogspot.com/2014/11/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I am always looking for new manipulatives to use as notes on a staff. I also nominated you for the Leibster Award: http://emilyskodalymusic.blogspot.com/2014/11/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Am going to use the idea soon for 3rd grade. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete