Header

Mrs. King at Home About Mrs. King Contact Mrs. King Mrs. King's Music Class HOME Image Map

Senor Don Gato-Meow! Meow! Meow!

Do you remember the ballad of "Senor Don Gato"?  Many adults learned this song in elementary music and it is still one of their favorites.  Today some first and second graders were introduced to this cat through the storybook illustrated by John Manders.

Our lesson started with the song "Hola Amigos" and a discussion of what language the song is in and what the words mean.  Students listened as I sang the book and then we listened to a recording while singing the "meow meow meow" parts of the song.  A short video of the song and a discussion of the story and we were ready to retell the story on paper.  Using words and pictures or just pictures, students retold the key points of the ballad:
1. Don Gato sat on a roof and read a love letter.
2. A fluffy, white lady cat wanted to wed Don Gato.
3. Don Gato, in his excitement, jumped up and fell off the roof.
4.  The doctors came to try and help him.
5.  Don Gato died anyway.
6.  As the funeral procession passed the fish market the smell brought Senor Don Gato back to life!  ¡OlĂ©!

Here are some examples of student projects:





3 comments:

  1. Do you have any coloring pages for this song?!! Or do you know where I can find any? (For Senor Don Gato) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not. I wish I did because it is one of my favorites! If I find something, I'll be sure to link it up.

      Delete
  2. I'm looking for the karaoke version of Don Gato for my students to sing with as they "read" the book. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete