Header

Mrs. King at Home About Mrs. King Contact Mrs. King Mrs. King's Music Class HOME Image Map

Pass the Chicken - A Game for Reviewing Anything

Looking for a quick and easy review game? Try Pass the Chicken! Great for any classroom, this blog post shows you how to play the game and gives you a free list of music themed categories to use. FUN for music class or any classroom.

Pass the chicken is one of my go to games when I need to review something or even when I just have a few spare minutes with a group.

Here's how to play:
1.Have your class stand in a circle.
2.One student holds the rubber chicken (or whatever object you want to pass).  
3.You say one of the categories from the included list.  
4.The student immediately pass the chicken to the left and the others continue to pass it as the one who was it says five things that fit the category.
5.If they name 5 whoever has the chicken when they finish is the next person who is it.  If they don’t, they have to come to the center of the circle and do the ”Chicken Dance”.  
6.They hand the chicken to the person on their left who is now it.  The play repeats.

When we are reviewing instrument families my categories for the game might be:
Brass Instruments
Percussion Instruments
Instruments with strings
Instruments that start with T
Instruments that have a reed

Sometimes I've planned a lesson that doesn't take as long as I think it will.  Other times I'm stuck with a group waiting for their teacher to pick them up.  Pass the Chicken is a great way to see what they know and keep them focused.  I keep a list of different musical topics near my desk so that I can refer to it when I can't come up with any ideas.




 Like this idea?  Pin it for later!
Looking for a quick and easy review game? Try Pass the Chicken! Great for any classroom, this blog post shows you how to play the game and gives you a free list of music themed categories to use. FUN for music class or any classroom.



post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment